When it comes to Vermont everyone thinks of cows, ice cream and Ben & Jerry’s. Our ice cream experts tell us that you can enjoy some of Vermont’s most incredible ice cream treats right here at Willoughby Lake. This list is far from exhaustive, new shops pop up every summer. What we can say is that nothing beats a vanilla creamee (Vermont’s title for soft serve) with maple crunchies at any one of these nearby NEK favorites.
- Willoughby Lake Store: check out the stand on the side of the building and enjoy the seating area with a roaring brook and lake views.
- Will-o-barn: the ice cream stand is right alongside the food counter. Outside seating offers hillside views of the lake and mountain ranges.
- Trading Post: take the brief scenic ride on Rte 16 to the Evansville Trading Post, an experience you won’t soon forget. The outside service is fast and efficient and doggie sundaes are on the menu.
- Derby Scoops: no ride to Derby is complete without a stop at the ice cream stand on the grounds of the school. Scoops has some of the best flavors in the Kingdom and kids sundaes are a bargain.
- Barton Scoops: the same great ice cream as Derby with a nearby riverside location.
- Lyndonville Freight House: Classic Vermont old train station with views of the tracks and the town center.
- East Burke: bike riders, tourists and passersby love the ice cream stand by the entryway to Kingdom Trails.